Articles on: Intro to SaleHoo

Do suppliers require a tax ID?

A Sales Tax ID is a number you obtain from your state and/or local government that allows you to charge sales tax whenever a buyer in your state, county and/or city purchases an item from you, even if it’s an online purchase.

It might sound a bit daunting at first, but it’s just part of the process of starting an online business.

It's not always required to get started with most suppliers but there are quite a few benefits of obtaining one. I'd recommend you check out a couple of blog posts we wrote on the topic to give you a better understanding:

How to get a Resale License
Why do suppliers ask for specific documents before I order?

If you are serious about establishing an eCommerce business, in most US states, you'll need a Sales Tax ID.

If you live outside of the US and the supplier requires a Sales Tax ID, you can provide the supplier with the closest equivalent to a Sales Tax ID for your country.

For example, if you live in the UK or the EU, you will need to be a VAT registered trader so in place of a Sales Tax ID use your VAT ID. In Australia and New Zealand, you can use your GST number.

Alternatively, the wholesaler may want to see your business license/registration details. Below are guides to help you register your business:

Business Registration USA
Register a Business in Canada
Business Registration UK
Set up a Business in Australia

Updated on: 28/06/2024

Was this article helpful?

Share your feedback


Thank you!